What rights do un-wed fathers have before a child is born?

There are many types of families today. While some live in traditional family structures, children are raised in two households when their parents decide that living together isn't suitable. When an Orlando male resident gets news that he is going to have a child, there can be a lot of emotions. Many expecting fathers want to know what fathers' rights they have before their child is born.

When a child is growing inside the womb, this is probably one of the most limiting times in an un-wed father's life. Due to HIPAA regulation about health records and patient consent, a father is not allowed to help make medical decisions about the child unless the mother gives consent. If the disagreement continues until the time up to when the child is to be born, the father may not even be allowed in the delivery room, unless the mother agrees.

If a father is able to help oversee the care of the child while in the womb, this will only increase the child's chance for success when they are born and give them a good head-start into life. Unfortunately, there are instances where an expecting mother is negligent with her health and well being, If you suspect that there is something amiss, it could be grounds for legal action. Documenting this activity could be very helpful if seeking child custody after the child is born.

Though most fathers want to establish an emotional relationship with their children as soon as possible, un-wed fathers do not have many rights to a child before they are born. The exception is if the mother grants access to medical records and information otherwise protected by HIPAA. This is an evolving issue in the courts, however. If you believe you need to take action on behalf of your un-born child, there isn't a moment too soon to ensure their well-being.

Source: Findlaw, "Fathers' Rights Before Birth," Accessed March 6, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
EmailEmail Us For A Response

Moving Your Family Forward

To get you and your family moving on a path toward a brighter future, please contact the Altamonte Springs Law Office of Amy L. Beauchaine at 407-636-2985 or send our Altamonte Springs divorce attorney an email.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Amy L. Beauchaine, Attorney at Law
505 Maitland Ave. Suite 1150
Altamonte Springs, FL 32701

Phone: 407-571-6908
Fax: 407-218-4558
Altamonte Springs Law Office Map

Review Us