Getting an out-of-state parent to pay child support

When the court orders a parent to pay child support, that order is absolute and binding. But unfortunately, sometimes a parent will forgo his or her obligations and opt to stop making the payments. When such is the case, the support-receiving parent is forced to either take steps to get the payments resumed or do without the money that is likely critical for household and other expenses.

If you are trying to get your child's other parent to resume support payments, you have every right to feel frustrated and even angry. And if the delinquent parent is currently residing in another state, it could be that much more daunting to have the matter resolved. But when pursuing the child support to which you are entitled, remember that you do have the rule of law on your side.

The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act was created in 1992, and it provides that when a parent has been issued a support order, that order must be upheld regardless of what state the parent may move to. This original order is called the "controlling order" and its conditions must be honored no matter where in the United States the paying parent resides.

But to have the UIFSA work for you, you will have to register your controlling order with the court of the state where the delinquent parent is living. Once the controlling order is received and registered the delinquent spouse could face a variety of penalties, such as seizure of property, garnishment of wages, and revocation of his or her driver's license if the payments are not resumed.

Getting an out-of-state parent to live up to his or her support obligations may prove vexing, but making the effort could give you very worthwhile results. And an experienced Florida family law attorney may aid you in your pursuit. The attorney could help you register your controlling order as well as expedite a hearing wherein your child's other parent will be held accountable for not having fulfilled his or her financial responsibilities to you and your child.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
EmailEmail Us For A Response

Moving Your Family Forward

To get you and your family moving on a path toward a brighter future, please contact the Altamonte Springs Law Office of Amy L. Beauchaine at 407-636-2985 or send our Altamonte Springs divorce attorney an email.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Amy L. Beauchaine, Attorney at Law
505 Maitland Ave. Suite 1150
Altamonte Springs, FL 32701

Phone: 407-571-6908
Fax: 407-218-4558
Altamonte Springs Law Office Map

Review Us