How much child support will I have to pay?

For people who are going through a divorce or considering divorce, there are many questions that weigh heavily on their minds. In almost every instance, it boils down to how much a person will have to give up; how many of my assets will I have to give up? How much time with my child will I have to give up? For some individuals, how much of my paycheck will I have to give up?

This question is particularly relevant for individuals who do not have joint custody agreements in their divorce. In a joint custody arrangement, both parents often contribute to supporting the child financially depending on how much time is spent with the child and how much money is earned. When one parent has sole custody, the non-custodial parent's primary contribution is financial child support. The amount a non-custodial parent will have to pay in such an instance depends on a few different factors.

No matter what your circumstances, you can be reasonably certain that courts will take into consideration the child's financial needs when determining how much you will pay in child support. These needs could include insurance, education or day care. The courts will also consider the income of both parents and the standard of living to which the child was accustomed before the divorce. In order to maintain that standard, a non-custodial parent may have to pay more if he or she is capable of paying more based on his or her income.

It is important to remember that child support is calculated by the state, and that the aforementioned factors are based on federal guidelines outlined in the Child Support Enforcement Act. In order to have a better idea of exactly how much child support you might be expected to pay, you should visit a family law attorney who practices in your state. Florida residents are encouraged to seek the aid of a Florida attorney when considering child support.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
EmailEmail Us For A Response

Moving Your Family Forward

To get you and your family moving on a path toward a brighter future, please contact the Altamonte Springs Law Office of Amy L. Beauchaine at 407-636-2985 or send our Altamonte Springs divorce attorney an email.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Amy L. Beauchaine, Attorney at Law
505 Maitland Ave. Suite 1150
Altamonte Springs, FL 32701

Phone: 407-571-6908
Fax: 407-218-4558
Altamonte Springs Law Office Map

Review Us