Florida man facing penalties for owing $90,000 in child support

Recently in Florida, a man pleaded guilty in a child support case in which he had failed to pay nearly $100,000 over the course of the eight years since his divorce. According to reports, the child support order for the divorce, which occurred in Maine, required a weekly payment of $216. In the four years following the divorce, the man-made a total of 57 payments (according to the support order, he should have made more than 200), and even those payments were reduced.

Throughout the four years of varied payments, the man ultimately paid just over $12,000. As a result, he owed more than $60,000 by October 2012. At that point, he stopped paying child support altogether, resulting in his near $100,000 deficit in failed child support payments.

Obviously failing to pay so much in child support is a serious legal issue, but it is made even worse by virtue of the fact that it is illegal in federal law to reside in a different state from your child if you are five figures behind in your child support payments. This means that in addition to failure to pay child support, this man was committing a federal crime by residing in Florida. Because of this, in addition to paying back the child support, the man could be looking at years in prison and a quarter-of-a-million dollars in fines.

This case is a perfect example of the issues that could arise with child support, and why it is important to contact an attorney if you are having issues with your child support. If your ex is failing to pay the child support that he or she owes, you could take legal action to ensure that the payments are made. If you are unable to make the child support payments, you could have your support order modified in order to ensure that you do not have to pay outside of your means.

Source: Bangor Daily News, "Florida man pleads guilty to not paying $90,000 in child support," Judy Harrison, Sep. 16, 2015

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
EmailEmail Us For A Response

Moving Your Family Forward

To get you and your family moving on a path toward a brighter future, please contact the Altamonte Springs Law Office of Amy L. Beauchaine at 407-636-2985 or send our Altamonte Springs divorce attorney an email.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Amy L. Beauchaine, Attorney at Law
505 Maitland Ave. Suite 1150
Altamonte Springs, FL 32701

Phone: 407-571-6908
Fax: 407-218-4558
Altamonte Springs Law Office Map

Review Us