Florida businessman arrested for failing to pay child support

It is not uncommon for at least one parent, typically the parent who does not have physical custody of the child, to be ordered by a court to pay child support to the custodial parent. The intent of child support is to ensure that that parent will be able to adequately care for the child from a financial sense. The specifics of what the child support amount will be are generally delineated in a child support order. Nevertheless, despite such court orders, there are some parents who fail to pay child support. The penalty for failing to pay child support could be jail time, suspension of one's driving privileges, restrictions on one's passport and more.

In fact, our Florida residents will find it interesting to learn that recently, a well-to-do Florida businessman was arrested and charged with not only failing to pay child support, but also failing to paying spousal support. The 51-year-old man allegedly failed to pay over $450,000 in child support and alimony payments to his ex-spouse. Furthermore, in an unrelated federal case, he is charged with not paying almost $160,000 in child support.

In many cases in which a parent experiences a substantial decrease in his or her income, or has some life- altering event take place, that parent may fall behind on child support obligations. However, in this particular case, according to authorities, the 51-year-old Florida businessman allegedly not only purchased, but also developed property with his current spouse, all the while not paying the child and spousal support as ordered. The man is presently in jail awaiting trial.

Not paying court-ordered child support has consequences. Many parents who are ordered to pay child support may not know it, but if a substantial change in circumstance were to happen, they do have the option to file a motion for modification of child support payments to decrease child support payments. Rather than simply stopping payments and potentially facing charges for failing to pay child support, a parent concerned about his or her monthly payments may want to contact a family law attorney to discuss legal solutions and options.

Source: The Journal News, "Florida man jailed for not paying $425K in NY support," May 23, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
EmailEmail Us For A Response

Moving Your Family Forward

To get you and your family moving on a path toward a brighter future, please contact the Altamonte Springs Law Office of Amy L. Beauchaine at 407-636-2985 or send our Altamonte Springs divorce attorney an email.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Amy L. Beauchaine, Attorney at Law
505 Maitland Ave. Suite 1150
Altamonte Springs, FL 32701

Phone: 407-571-6908
Fax: 407-218-4558
Altamonte Springs Law Office Map

Review Us